Thursday 27 May 2010

Day...ummmm something

Hey there faithful internet dwellers.
It's now day ummm... what is it, Thursday? So that makes it day 4 of the TV embargo experiment. Although I've been pretty much TV free for a few days more than that.
So I thought I'd swing by and give you an update.

What do I have to tell you? Well, let's see. It's not been easy. You may recall my early enthusiasm to explore the empty spaces left behind by the absence of rapidly colour changing LCD spots in front of my eyes, but going cold Turkey has been tougher that I though. I suppose it takes a while for the routine to be broken, but I'm getting there. The urge to just hit the on switch has been hard to resist, and I can't tell you the amount of times it's just popped into my mind to watch 'this' or 'that'. But I've resisted.

Interestingly, the experiment has taken a curious turn for the worse. For reasons I'm not sure I can really go into, I find myself at home all day this week, which has effectively doubly expanded the non visuals time I have to fill.

But have I succumbed? Have I fuck.  Not a flicker of the pseudo-cathode-ray has past my quivering cornea. But WHAT, moog, WHAT have you filled your time with? Well, I'm glad you asked. A large portion has been filled with ploughing my way through books. Since saturday I've read K-Pax, Last exit to Brooklyn and half of Stephen Fry's delicious auto biography 'Moab is my washpot'.

I've also done a few lingering jobs around the house, created a new CV, exercised, (which reminds me - I should do my stretches now, or my Kirsten Dunst look-a-like physio  will be angry with me.)

Furthermore I've listened to alot of radio and done things like my washing up straight away. I think the best thing the radio has given me is an awesome jazz sax player named Ben Webster - possibly well known to some of you but to me - new. But mindblowing. go and spotify the fella right now if you're not familiar.

BUT. (in capitols to grab your attention again) the bestest thing that's come out of this is that only 4 official days in, well 3 really cos it was yesterday, I actually did some creative writing. That's right folks. I had an idea, then sat down at my computer and started writing. Its an idea for a sitcom and the first few scenes are coming together fairly well.

So I think I'm gonna call that a successful experiment so far.

I'm starting to get used to the whole no TV lark. Although I know I don't want to give it up forever, I think I'm going to make sure I have some set days where it doesn't get switched on.

Television... Drug of the nation.

peas and love y'all

xxx

No comments: