Friday 21 May 2010

The television embargo

I never have any time to do anything creative. When I was in a relationship I never had any time to do anything creative, and now that I'm single, I never get any time to do anything creative.

The above statement feels true. But it's actually a load of shit. It's actually a complete lie and I try to live my life being as truthful as I can - except it seems, to myself. I DO in fact have plenty of time to do creative things, its simply that I choose to spend all my free time in front of the bloody television.

It hit me as a bit of a revelation, I mean, I know I watch a lot - but just how much has suddenly revealed itself, like a dark cloud passing to let forth a bright, sunny day. So I've decided to try an experiment in which for the next 2 weeks starting Monday, I'm not going to watch any TV. Now, this not might seem like much to some of you. I know I have many friends who don't watch too much telly, but I darned well do - and it's going to be a pretty serious adjustment for me. My main goal is really just to see what happens; see exactly WHAT I get up to. I've been wanting to write for ages, but never have time. Been wanting to play more music, but never have time. To exercise more, to read more...you get the picture.

One thing I know is that I watch a lot of crap, just because I've been watching it so long I'm invested in it, or because someones recommended it and I'm 'waiting for it to get better', some just to plug gaps in my time because I'm already monged out (can I say that?) in a TV induced vegetative state.

As with any experiment there need to be clear guidelines... here they are.

1) NO TV - this includes downloaded programmes, DVDs, movies - anything.
2) NO TV ON THE COMPUTER - no sitting on you tube for hours trawling through clips.
3) NO COMPUTER GAMES - nope - games go too. The screen is OFF ladies and gentlemen.

There are a couple of caveats.
1) This feels like a bit of a cop out even to me, but as it happens, the very final episode of Lost is on during this period. I might allow myself that 45 minutes - for the sole reason that after 6 years investment in this show, if someone were to talk about the last episode (as they inevitably will), I'll be fucking livid.

2) Exercises DVDs. This was a tough choice. I'm going to start out saying NO exercise DVDs. If I want to do some, I'll try and get to a class or do it on my own, but if I feel I really want to do something physical and it's not possible to do it another way, this may be a solid reason.

3) WORK - if I get any editing work or need to do research for a job I will have to use screens. This will be as minimal as possible though.

4) COMPUTERS - I will allow myself to check email, and respond, but will not look at the latest amusing knick knack that got sent to me. I may write on a computer if I want too and I may also update this blog.

I think that wraps it up. My goal is pretty simple: When I come out of this experiment, I hope to have a clearer idea of two things.

1) What is it I really enjoy doing at the moment

and

2) What TV programs do I REALLY enjoy - and which am I watching simply to fill time.

Should be an interesting couple of cold turkey weeks. If you see me gibbering in the street, you know why.

Love ya,

Moog

No comments: